my flickr photostream

Thursday, April 29, 2010

52 weeks: Week 15 and 16 wrapup

Welcome
© 2010 Simon Hucko

Life has been rather crazy for me lately, and things here on the blog just got away from me. I apologize, and thank you guys for posting photos last week and this week even though I wasn't keeping up with things. The good news is, my wife and I closed on our new house on Tuesday! The bad news is, we're living out of (a lot of) boxes and I can't find the charger for my camera. Lesson learned: I should have grabbed the charger before the move and stuffed it into my bag. C'est la vie.

On to the photos! My photo for week 15 was slightly different for me. I don't get a chance to shoot street photography much, but it's something I'm interested in and would like to shoot more of. I was walking around Cornell and came across this message spelled out on a fence. Students were walking to and from campus, so I framed the shot and waited for the right mix of people in the frame. I'm pretty happy with the shot, a nice little slice of life at Cornell.

My pick for week 15 is from newcomer garycollins2:

Sun Embraced (1/52)
© garycollins2

I love the rich red color in the sky and the great silhouette of the leaves (especially the two that are nudging up against the sun). Lucky accident or no, that little detail really makes this image. Wonderful first entry, I'm looking forward to seeing more. :)

Week 16

Owego Earth Day Pano
© 2010 Simon Hucko

Week 16 was unofficial Earth Day week. I originally set out to do something special for Earth Day, but considering I couldn't even get the normal wrapup post out on time, it just wasn't going to happen. Thanks to those of you who embraced the idea and posted something Earth Day-ish anyway. (And no points lost to those who didn't). My photo this week was a panorama of the town that I live in. I recently discovered a nice vantage point for this, and thought it would be a fitting photo for my Earth Day submission. I have plans to go back up when we get a nice colorful sunset and take another one, possibly even have it printed and framed.

My pick for this week is "Lincoln-3" by djhucko:

Lincoln-3
© djhucko

What can I say, I'm a sucker for symmetry (especially black and white symmetry). Wonder where I get that from... I also like that this was captured with his cell phone - I always like getting a glimpse into how people see the world around them, and phone cams tend to provide the most organic way for people to share that.

I want to mention MairinJean's Earth Day entry as well:

Earth Day!
© MairinJean

I thought this was a very interesting rule breaker, and I can't stop looking at it. It feels "wrong," but I also really like what's captured here and how it keeps me thinking about the image. Thanks for the head scratcher :)

Ok, that should get me all caught up. I promise to keep up with things from now on. Thanks for being patient and sticking with it despite my absence. Deadline for week 17 is coming up Sunday at midnight, so get out there and get shooting!

~S

[title of blog] on flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment