my flickr photostream

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

52 weeks: Week 24 wrapup

Freelensing in the Woods
© 2010 Simon Hucko

Another low turnout this week. What can I do to help you guys get out there? Would a theme or an assignment help? Monthly? Weekly? Let me know what I can do to help inspire your photography, here in the comments or over on twitter.

My shot this week was another experiment with freelensing. I think I could have improved on it by having the entire flower in focus (instead of letting the left side go soft), using a smaller aperture or less of a tilt. I'm still feeling out this freelensing thing, and that's part of the fun - learning by trial and error. Pixels are cheap and plentiful, and it's fun to stretch my craft a bit.

This week's pick is "Flippin Burgers" by djhucko:

Flippin Burgers 2
© Dan Hucko

I like the effect of the plastic window in front - it softens everything in the image and gives it more of an abstract feel. The focus isn't so much on the man flipping burgers, but the experience of being at a festival at night eating street food. The exposure reinforces this, holding the lights and letting the man's face stay in shadow. I like the touch of motion blur on his tongs, too, it gives it a nice dynamic feel. The only thing I might have changed would be to crop in a bit on the right to remove the edge of the window. Great street shot.

Go shoot! Do it! Seriously, just do it! No excuses!

~S

[title of blog] on flickr

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to re-crop it. Good suggestion.

    Now that I have my Nikon back, I'll be shooting every week. My continued thanks for your efforts in keeping this assignment going. Keep prodding us.

    ReplyDelete