my flickr photostream

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Best of 2009


As the year ends and we draft up our lists of resolutions for the new year (and the 52 weeks project is at the top of your list, right?), it's good to take a look back on what you've accomplished in the previous year. Or, in my case, to brag about some photos I've taken :) In no particular order, here's a few of my favorites:

"Black and White and Redwood all over"
Black and White and Redwood all over
© 2009 Simon Hucko

This is one of my favorites from our trip to Yosemite in February. I like the strong leading lines of the trees and the texture on the bark. I also think it captures the feeling of standing and looking up at the towering redwoods.


"Dark Falls"
Dark Falls
© 2009 Simon Hucko

Rather abstract for me, but I really like the effect of the polarizer and the long exposure here. A different take on the typical long exposure waterfall shot.


"Buttermilk Falls State Park"
Buttermilk Falls State Park
© 2009 Simon Hucko

This is my most popular photo on Flickr. A classic waterfall shot, and one of my first forays into long exposure work. I went in search of fall colors, and ended up liking this better in black and white, and apparently you all did too :)


"Washington Monument"
Washington Monument
© 2009 Simon Hucko

My take on the Washington Monument. I like the strong symmetry set against the wispy clouds. I also like that it's not a typical view of the monument. It can be hard to get unique photos of a touristy place, especially as a tourist, so I'm very happy with how it turned out.


"Sunday Afternoon"
Sunday Afternoon
© 2009 Simon Hucko

Four fingers, a book, a remote, a magazine, and a bottle of nail polish = a lazy Sunday afternoon. Simple, but tells a great story.


"Rehearsal"
Rehearsal
© 2009 Simon Hucko

I just love the candid laid back nature of this shot. The blown out background adds to the clean relaxed fun feeling.


"Rafting on the Street"
Rafting in the street
© 2009 Simon Hucko

I like this one for the sheer ridiculousness of the situation. It was raining so hard that the streets flooded and a bunch of students decided to go rafting in the street on an air mattress. Definitely a once-in-a-lifetime situation, and one that I'm really glad I was able to witness and capture.


"Going for a Spin"
Going for a Spin
© 2009 Simon Hucko

This was the result of having some fun and not taking myself very seriously one fall afternoon. Not only do I like the photo, but I had a great time walking around and experimenting. A good reminder that it's important to have fun and try new things.


"The Time Traveler"
The Time Traveler
© 2009 Simon Hucko

This is probably my personal favorite from the year. The contrast of the old bike and clothing against the craziness of Times Square, the rain washed pavement, the feeling of isolation against the big city background and the little bit of motion make this one for me.

~S

[title of blog] on flickr

1 comment:

  1. Whoa, I don't remember seeing Dark Falls before. I really like it!

    ReplyDelete