my flickr photostream

Monday, February 22, 2010

52 weeks: Week 7 wrapup

Evita Rehearsal
© 2010 Simon Hucko. All rights reserved. Please DO NOT use this photo without permission

Week 7 and things are going strong. Glad to see all of the submissions this week, looks like the little slump we had is coming to an end. Sorry for the lateness of my comments and this post - things are a little crazy at the Hucko household right now because the musical that my wife is choreographing/costuming opens this coming weekend. As such, I've been going to rehearsals lately to take some photos of the kids and to help out by providing moral support and picking up lunch/dinner when necessary. My photo this week was taken at one of the dress rehearsals, and I chose this one out of the (literally) hundreds of others because of the energy and great expressions. It's definitely worth viewing larger. My one big critique of this photo is that I cut the edge of his foot off. After going through my photos from the first day of shooting, I noticed that I do this pretty often. Fortunately, I've had the opportunity to go back several times and work on this, and I'm getting better. Remember, critiquing your own work is absolutely necessary if you want to get better as a photographer.

Congratulations to Matt Beaty for this week's winner:

beaty_20100212_256-1
© Matt Beaty

I really like the mystery of this shot. Great use of back lighting to give the silhouette and to highlight the texture of the smoke. It feels a bit cinematic to me, this could definitely be a still from a gritty film noir type movie.

And while I'm at it, Matt also has a great blog about his experiences at photo school. Check it out over at Vault Blog. His writeup about this shoot can be found here

That's it for this week. Keep up the great work everyone!

~S

[title of blog] on flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment