my flickr photostream

Monday, February 1, 2010

52 weeks: Week 4 wrapup

Multi-Tasking
© 2010 Simon Hucko

I don't know about the rest of you, but this was a tough week for me photographically. Between my schedule at work and the awful weather, I didn't have a chance to get out and shoot during the week. I was feeling pretty uninspired, until I had a conversation with Stacey about clone photos (photos with multiples of the same person). I made one a while ago, and decided to give it another shot. I had to go into work for a bit on Saturday morning, so while I was waiting for my samples to finish drying I took a series of photos that were later merged into the image above. If you've never done something like this, it's actually relatively simple. Set up a tripod, shoot on manual everything so that the images are all the same, add all the photos as different layers in Photoshop or GIMP, and use layer masks to paint in the different people on each layer (a quick search for layer masking should give you the necessary info for how to go about this). It's a bit of a digital photography cliché, I know, but it's fun to play around with.

Enough about me. This week's winner is slithy-toves for her photo, "Mmmm Sundays"
Mmmm Sundays
© Stacey Shackford

One of my favorite things about this photo is that it was taken with an iPhone. That doesn't make the image any better or worse, but that's the point. It's easy to get caught up in camera gear and techniques, but in the end the image is what really matters. I like the classic feel of the square crop here, the great relaxed atmosphere, and the processing to give it a nice distressed, comfortable feeling (like a good pair of jeans). The title is very appropriate, and I definitely get the feeling of a laid back Sunday morning at the coffee house. Nicely done.

That's it for this week. Keep up the great work everyone! And check back here and at the group this week for an announcement about monthly themes.

~S

[title of blog] on flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment