my flickr photostream

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Flak photo


© 2008 Suzanne Révy

Today's link is to Flak Photo. Flak photo puts out a photo a day, which you can consume on the site, as a daily e-mail, or through your favorite RSS reader [RSS feed].

Today's photo (above) really jumped out at me when I saw it, both for the tones and texture of the corn and the childhood excitement that she captured. There have been some real gems, and even if I don't particularly like a photo it gives me a chance to see fresh work every day. Viewing such a wide variety of work helps you find what you like and don't like. This can then be applied to your own work.

Self-critique is hard, since photography can be a very personal thing, but if you can figure out how to look at your work objectively it'll make you a better photographer. I try to go back through my body of work online every couple weeks and review everything I have posted. I wind up catching some things I missed before, and sometimes am inspired to re-visit old shots or techniques.

Try it - pull up some old photos and be honest with yourself about what you see. I guarantee you'll be surprised by it.

~S

No comments:

Post a Comment