my flickr photostream

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

52 weeks: Week 35 wrapup

Frolicking in the Falls
© 2010 Simon Hucko

So "square" as a theme is almost cheating for me: I'd say a good third of my work these days ends up as a square crop. I probably could have stretched myself a bit to find a square subject, but I didn't have any time to shoot this weekend so I had to go with something from earlier in the week. This spot is at the end of a small lake downstream from the local reservoir and is apparently quite a popular swimming hole. There were some kids jumping off a cliff, and then this group that swam over to the dam. I was on the cliff above them and grabbed the shot. There was actually a fourth swimmer in the frame behind these three, but I cropped him out when going to square (3 subjects is much more visually pleasing than 4).

My pick this week is "River Severn - Ironbridge" by q-pix

River Severn - Ironbridge
© q-pix

Lovely black and white landscape. However he did the black and white is very nice, lots of texture and detail across the image. Nice use of the river as a leading line to bring the viewers into the frame, too.

This week's challenge is to use the widest angle lens you've got and make a compelling photo with it (no cropping allowed!). Don't just default to a wide landscape, either, there are a lot of interesting things you can do with a wide angle perspective (people, places, objects, the sky's the limit!). Flip your landscape to vertical and capture an interesting detail in the foreground. Give some great context to your environmental portraits. Surprise me, or give me something simple but excellent.

I'd also like to see a few people who are hovering around at the fringe come back to the fold and start posting again. We miss you guys! Thanks to the core group who's been keeping up with me here, it's nice to have your photos every week :)

Go shoot!

~S

[title of blog] on flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment