my flickr photostream

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

52 weeks: Week 27 wrapup

Sleepy
© 2010 Simon Hucko

I had every intention of sticking to the theme (symmetry) this week and had a few other shots planned, but life got in the way and so this photo of Radames will have to do. I'm happy with this shot except for the white balance - it came out a little magenta, so I'll have to go back and tweak it a bit. I used his white fur to set the white point, and apparently his white fur is actually a little green? Just goes to show, if you're looking for accurate color there's just no substitution for a neutral gray card.

My pick this week is "Lemond - 6" by djhucko:

Lemond - 6
© Dan Hucko

I figured my dad would hop on the symmetry theme, as we both share that aesthetic in our photography. I like the use of grass as a background, it adds some nice texture to the shot. I'm digging the square crop, too (of course). The photo brings me back a bit to my pick from week one. My only criticism here is the smeary flare around the highlight on the fork. It might just be a product of shooting that lens wide open, and there's probably not much you can do about it.

That's it for this week. Next week's theme is black and white. Show me what you got.

~S

[title of blog] on flickr

2 comments:

  1. I shot this in very bright sunlight, and there was a spectral highlight reflection emanating from the front brake directly into the lens, which caused the flair. I shot some other frames with the bike in the shade, but they just didn't "pop".

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you haven't mentioned that WB issue, I could have missed it altogether. Looks fine by me. Cute puss :)

    Long time no see :)

    ReplyDelete