my flickr photostream

Monday, May 17, 2010

Get enough coverage


Just a quick tip this week. I went on a trip with my wife's choir on Saturday, and decided before hand that I wanted to put together a little slide show for them when it was over. After we got home, I realized that I didn't have a lot of coverage from early in the day, and because of how I was putting together the video I wound up stretching some of what I had out in the beginning. It worked ok, but I would have liked to have more to cut between.

I could blame myself for being tired, or for not being familiar with the kids and having a hard time taking photos/video of them, but I'm going to look at it as a learning experience. It's better to have too much content and have to whittle down later than to not have enough and try to stretch it when you edit. Waiting for shots to happen is nice and you can get some good candids that way, but in situations like these the "hey, give me a smile!" shots are just as good (if not better).

Despite some shortcomings, I really liked putting together the video slideshow and I will definitely do more of this sort of thing in the future. I will just have to make sure I get more complete coverage of the event so that I'm not limited when it comes to piecing it all together. If you've never done anything like this, I recommend giving it a shot. iMovie for the Mac is an awesome piece of software and makes doing video slideshows a breeze (you can even sync up your edits with the music so that it cuts on the beat, a very nice little professional touch). I'm not sure about an equivalent program on the Windows platform, if anyone has any suggestions please share them for our PC users!

~S

[title of blog] on flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment