my flickr photostream

Monday, August 10, 2009

Timing is Everything

Letchworth at Sunrise
© 2009 Simon Hucko

Well, I did it. Woke up before 6am on Saturday and ventured out to take some photos with my dad. I was hoping to capture the waterfalls there at sunrise, but apparently the light doesn't make its way down into the gorge until much later in the morning. While we were on our way to the falls, I saw the vista above and pulled the car right over. Great golden light, the mist rising in the valley, I couldn't pass it up. I think I even said "ooooo" as I hit the breaks. Later that morning I headed back out to go to the waterfalls and walk around/shoot a little. On my way, I stopped at the same place and took the following picture:



Oops! Thanks for the heads up about the busted photo. Should be fixed now

Not exactly the same framing, and not as extensively edited, but I think it gets the point across pretty well. The rich golden light is gone. The mist has evaporated. The sky is blown out. The foreground trees are no longer in silhouette. What was a unique landscape photograph became a run of the mill snapshot that every single visitor to the park has taken. The difference? 4 hours. The first photo was taken at 6:23am (sunrise was at 6:11am that day). The second was taken at 10:28am.

The lesson? If you want unique pictures, you're going to have to work for it. Timing is everything, and knowing when your subject will look its best can make or break a photograph. Do some research and scout out photo opportunities before hand so you know how to get the best shot possible.

~S

[title of blog] on flickr

2 comments: