my flickr photostream

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

It's ok to take bad photos

Frosty Taughannock
© 2011 Simon Hucko

Well, it's been a little over 3 weeks since my last post, and in that time I've taken maybe 10 frames. Not starting the year off well here. I think it's time to man up and start working on my laundromat project, because it's far too cold to do much of anything outside at the moment. I do plan on getting out for some more winter stuff, but when it's 15 degrees (F) and gray like it is here today it's hard to get motivated...

This week's tip is partially a reminder to myself as well as some advice for anyone else going through the winter blahs right now: It's ok to take bad photos. Not every frame you take is going to be a work of Art. Just the act of picking up a camera and making yourself point it at something and press the shutter can begin to rekindle the creative process, and you may end up with something you like by the end of it. And if you don't, no big loss, just format your card and try again next time. This is where having a project can help - you already did your creative thinking and just have to execute on a theme. It doesn't have to be a large project, either. Something like the classic "lock yourself in a room and take 50 different photos" exercise is perfect for a cold winter day when you're looking for things to shoot.

So that's it, just a quick tip this week. Trying to get back in the saddle with photography and blogging. What do you do when you're in a bit of a funk? Would love to hear about it in the comments.

~S

[title of blog] on flickr

1 comment:

  1. Good tip. I completely agree! "Just do it" is more or less how I get back in the saddle for all things creative (writing, photography, piano). Sometimes it's a mindset ("oh it's been too long" "I'll never do something as good as I did before" etc.) that holds us back, and just DOING is what breaks the mindset. Creativity isn't magic. It's habit and skill. Just like Houdini or Copperfield.

    ReplyDelete