my flickr photostream

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

52 weeks: Week 44 wrapup

Sunset in Motion
© 2010 Simon Hucko

I'm not thrilled with my photo this week, but I was actually excited to take it, so I consider that a win. I've been getting more and more interested in long exposures, and am strongly considering a 10 stop ND filter. This photo has some issues (a bucket in the middle of the dam, blown spots in the sky from the setting sun poking through the clouds), but I think there's a lot of nice movement between the water and the clouds. If the weather around here continues to produce low, fast-moving clouds like this I may have found my saving grace to tide me over until the snow starts. Things are continuing to improve this week photo-wise, so I'm happy to be done with this fall flop (at least for now).

My pick this week comes from DebPaul2010:

11 03 10_1929

First, I'd like to say welcome to Debbie - she found us a week or so ago. Always happy to have new members, and even though the project is almost done for the year, I'm looking forward to seeing what she has to post. I chose this image for the lighting. Because the scene is back-lit with warm sunlight, there is an interesting play between the golden sun and the cool shadows. Despite being back-lit, the exposure is well balanced and gives a lot of nice detail and color on everything in the shot. The cemetery is an interesting take on the theme of "time." Nice shot, Deb.

No theme this week, just get out and shoot something :)

~S

[title of blog] on flickr

2 comments:

  1. I think the bucket in your waterfall makes the shot. It adds an aspect of realism to what is otherwise just another cliche (albeit gorgeous) waterfall photo. I love the treatment you gave it in post... basically I love the photograph. The feeling of depth is great, there is definitely a serene overtone to it with the smooth water in contrast with the ominous clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Matt. glad someone liked it ;)

    ReplyDelete